Why Get a Security System? Crime in Canterbury
Busy and bustling, Canterbury is a thoroughfare for traffic of all types … and that, unfortunately, makes homes in Canterbury quite prone to property crime. Although there are some fairly quiet and safe suburbs in this local government area, we specially recommend security systems for Canterbury homes located in:
- The entire suburbs of Lakemba, Wiley Park and Campsie
- The area of Clemton Park bordered by William St, Kingsgrove Rd, Bexley Rd and the M5.
- Areas of Canterbury north of Cooks River, and especially in the streets surrounding Hurlstone Park and Canterbury train stations/
- Areas of Narwee around Hannans Rd, Broad Arrow Road and Bonds Rd
- Parts of Riverwood bordered by Belmore Rd, Hannans Rd and Mountview Avenue.
In 2010, THERE WERE 759 BREAK AND ENTERS to HOMES in CANTERBURY.
There were also 202 cases of stealing from a dwelling, and 1107cases of malicious damage to property. Most were centred around the same hotspots and suburbs as listed above. Canterbury security systems have also been vital in preventing hundreds of break and enters in the same year.
Canterbury Community Safety Initiatives
The Canterbury City Council takes a holistic approach to community safety and crime prevention, with attention to things like maintaining streets, removing graffiti and vandalism promptly, and encouraging residents to make use of public areas to create ‘natural surveillance’. They also aim to achieve a sense of safety without creating fear or intolerance around certain demographics and other cultures.
However, the council also offers the following services to householders which you can use to complement the individual protection of your Canterbury security system:
- Operation Bounce Back, which periodically issues free vehicle immobilisers to high risk vehicles. An easily targeted vehicle can attract criminal attention to your home.
- Safety Audits – if you feel that a particular area in your neighbourhood represents a safety risk, contact the Crime Prevention through Environmental Design Safety Audits team at council.
Suggested Instructions for Canterbury Security System Owners
When you have your Canterbury security system installed, you’ll need to leave a set of instructions for Pacific Security Technology to follow in case your alarm is activated. We recommend the following plan of defence:
- We contact Campsie police station with details of your activation, and precise directions to your home.
- An officer is dispatched, while another of our security staff contacts you on your nominated phone number.
Canterbury is a very convenient place to live – and we can protect you from many of the downsides of living in such a bustling area with a world-class Canterbury security system. Contact us today and arrange a FREE quote or installation of your security alarm.